Sony seems to be keeping in with its promise of offering most of its Xperia series handsets the latest Android 4.4 KitKat treatment. The latest to receive this from the range of Xperia series include the Xperia M2 and its dual variant. The handset was announced earlier this year at the MWC 2014 and was launched with the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean on-board.
Here is a complete change log of the update as offered by Sony.
- Google’s Android 4.4; KitKat as standard – bringing performance & UI optimisation…
- We’ve added our tweaked Status Bar and Quick Settings… now more intuitive and customisable (and pretty easy on the eye)… cleaned up to ensure you only get the notifications you really need
- If you’ve got a Sony PlayStation 4, you might recognize our new user interface – we’ve added the same sleek launch animation and live wallpaper across the lock and home screens
- Better storage choice – you now have the option to easily move applications from internal memory to SD card – we recognised the need to have more control over your content… as something particularly useful for devices with slightly less space
- We’re also uplifting Sony’s entire native app portfolio to the latest versions – bringing tweaked / improved / current experiences for (to name but a few): Messaging, Smart Connect, TrackID, What’s New, and Battery STAMINA Mode, Sony’s Media apps: WALKMAN, Album and Movies
- And proving pretty popular, now totalling over 2 million downloads (!) – our unique custom interface experience: “Xperia Themes”, with downloadable UI packs from Sony Select – skin up to 280 assets across your Xperia smartphone with a variety of styles…
- Compatibility with our SmartWear Experience; SmartBand SWR10 and Lifelog app – enabling you to record social, physical and entertainment activities and have them all visualised in a beautiful interface… reminisce at that past, make the best of the present and plan for the future.
Sony has rolling out the update as it being in a staged manner will reach over the globe soon. If the update has still not reached at your end, check for it manually. Users who have got the Xperia M2 through a career, might need to wait a bit more.